Monday 30 September 2013

Magazine Institutions

Magazine Institutions

I have researched popular magazine institutions and this is the information I have found:
  • IPC Media-This is one of the UK's leading magazines institutions and was founded in 1958. It sells over 350 million copies a year of its magazines and supplies magazine titles including NME, Marie Claire, TV Times and Pick Me Up. This shows that within magazine institutions they cover a lot of different themed magazines from music, womens, tv and fashion magazines so this magazine institution helps provide magazines for a lot of different target audiences.
  • Bauer Media Group-This is a German company and is based in Hamburg. It operates in 15 countries worldwide and was founded in 1875.This magazine institution is mainly music and provides for Kerrang!, MOJO and Q. They annually turn over €2.129 Billion and produce 38 million copies of magazines a week.
  • Emap-This was the second largest magazine institution in the UK and provided for names such as Kiss,Magic and Smash Hits but the company sold these magazines to Bauer and the company split up in December 2007.
  • BBC-They offer a large range of different magazines and they vary from music to gardening to children's. They have provided for magazines such as Top Of The Pops and other pop magazines so this doesn't really fit my target audience as it's for children mainly age 11-15.

The magazine institution I would most like to produce my magazine would be Bauer as it is a very well-known institution and provides for rock music magazines such as Kerrang! which is my biggest inspiration for my music magazine. My magazine has a USP because it includes both bands that both Kerrang! and NME or Q would include so it would attract a large range of people depending on the content of that specific issue.

My magazine could be distributed in a lot of different ways too. It could be available at supermarkets and corner shops, available as an online download or to view on a website, the internet would be a good choice as I know my target audience are frequent internet users as I have carried out a reader profile, survey and looked at other magazines reader profiles. It could also be distributed as an app to use on a smartphone, this is also really popular with my target audience. The last idea I had is that it could be gave away for free at gigs that fit with the rock theme as the people there will be interested in that music and might really enjoy reading my magazine.





No comments:

Post a Comment